SHARE

New records from comScore reveal that over and above 53% percent of families using Wi-Fi connection in the United States, have now a least of one excessive streaming facility in their use, among which, Netflix turned out to be the most preferred choice.

Although Netflix continues to be the king in the streaming world, having its reach in the households of 75% of the entire US streaming population, it is still facing an augmented competition from its other rivals like YouTube, which is not so far behind with a reach of 53%. Following it, are the Amazon and Hulu at 33% and 17% respectively.

These stats were gathered back in the end of 2016. At that time, USA had over and above 49m houses that were using theWi-Fi connection for streaming online videos using one of the above-mentioned platforms. ComScore said that as of now, there are a total of eleven such services that are being used by more than a million houses in a certain month, which shows a significant growth of this service in the market.

In themajority of the cases, these streaming facilities are playing a major role in filling the gap left by the conventional TV. The research has revealed that the users of these facilities are highly involved in watching this excessive content on an average of nineteen days a month and 2.2hours each day.

The maximum of the content consumption happens in the typical hours of prime time. This trend is also vividly signaling that users have stopped being entirely dependent on the conventional cable television. Nonetheless, they still watch the Television as much as they used to, primarily after getting back from work or before sleeping.

Engagement Rate

Although Netflix has the highest reach, engagement wise it takes the second spot. On the other hand, services like Sling TV have a higher engagement rate. There were no remarks by ComScore on its possible causes, but that’s may be because Sling provides a more cable TV sort of experience.

People who don’t want to entirely abandon watching TV are more inclined towards this. So, this trend seems to continue with less TV viewership primarily among young people. Conversely, Sling TV viewers might still be into TV watching using different platforms, so their viewing attitudes haven’t really evolved.

In addition to Netflix’s 75% reach, the remaining 25% of houses are only using rival services, which may or may not be its direct competitors. The opponent of Netflix, Amazon Video, is also extending its reach due to the fame of its Fire TV podium and has taken the top spot in that area.

Although Netflix appears to have touched its market saturation, ComScore believes that it can still grow further. The records show that almost half of the American Wi-Fi using population didn’t get involved in any of such facility in the last month of 2016, leaving bright prospects for numerous contenders.

However, with the prevalence of newer streaming facilities, it is unclear if the Netflix will continue to retain its position or not.